Media is an essential support service for instructional programs. Media Specialists should work closely with administrators and teachers in curriculum planning and implementation of instructional units. Media Specialists should also assume a leadership role in today's technology-oriented library information center without sacrificing the importance of books and reading for knowledge and pleasure.
The purpose of this handbook is to inform school personnel of goals, policies and procedures that ensure effective library media centers in the Troup County School System. The efficient day-to-day operation of the media center is of utmost importance in complying with Troup County School System board policies, Georgia State Board of Education rules, and Southern Association of Colleges and Schools standards.
The mission of the Troup County School System is:
- Ensure all students achieve at their highest level of academic performance.
- Provide a safe, secure and wholesome learning environment.
- Engage all students, staff, families, businesses and the community in the education process.
- Maximize efficiency and productivity in pursuit of the system's mission.
The mission of the media program is to acquire, organize and provide access to information and knowledge in support of the Troup County School System mission statement.
To achieve this, we:
- provide and maintain resources in all formats that support the curriculum
- energetically integrate media and technology resources and services into the instructional activities of the school
- cooperatively plan with techers to design units of instruction and learning strategies that meet the needs of all students
- stimulate interest in reading and using information and ideas to promote confidence and critical-thinking skills
- encourage and provide tools for self-education outside the classroom
- participate in programs for professional growth
The media center is the heart of the school and a vital component in the development of lifelong learners. It should foster an inviting, stimulating, positive atmosphere to provide sound learning experiences. The Media Specialist is responsible for creating and maintaining this atmosphere and in guiding students and faculty in becoming effective users of ideas and information.