March 17, 2020
Dear Hogansville Family,
It is Tuesday morning and the building is quiet. It is a very strange feeling to be in the school and no one else is here. It is almost 7:00 and there should be teachers in their classrooms preparing for daily tasks. There should be a bus in back with students waiting to get off and eat breakfast. I should hear talking and laughing in the hallways – but things are different.
I want to assure every family that the administrators, faculty, and staff of Hogansville Elementary School are here to support you as we work through this national crisis. For however long we are out of school, we have made plans to support the academic, nutritional, and emotional health of our students. These plans are evolving as we get new information from the school system. Here is what we know for now:
- Food will be provided Monday – Friday at drop off locations and at the school.If you pick up at school, please just come through the driveway and we will bring the food to your car.Remember we serve anyone under 18 years old.
- On Monday we will distribute food and work packets in the front of the building.Tuesday – Friday food will be distributed at the back of the building where buses are usually parked. School hours are 11:00-12:00 for food and work pick up.
- The week of Spring Break, April 6-10, there will be no food service
- Meals that include hot items (hamburgers, chicken patties, chicken nuggets, etc.) are being distributed cold.All of these items have been cooked and may be eaten cold or heat the meat in a microwave for 1 minute.
- Online learning is also available.Teachers at each grade level are constantly updating and posting work in their Google classrooms.If your child is having difficulty using the classroom code, make sure they are logged in to Google.The students should know their Google logins but just in case:first name, middle initial, last name @students.troup.org(no spaces).Once they are logged in the code should work.If not, please reach out to the teachers through Remind or their emails.
- We will not collect any work until students return to school.We are working on incentives so that students will want to do the work and return it.Look for that information in the coming days.Remember to check our Facebook page and our website for more information.
- Kindergarten – 2nd grade teachers will be doing telephone conferences (they were originally scheduled for this week) with parents about student progress.Each teacher will arrange a time with parents to conference.
I think I can speak for everyone here at Hogansville - we are truly sad that we are not in school welcoming our students each and every day. Last Thursday we said good-bye but had no idea we would not be back in school on Monday. Please tell your children that we miss them and can’t wait for them to return. If at any time while we are out of school you need something, please reach out to me. Call the school and if I don’t answer, leave a message. I will check messages daily. Reach out through my email (email@example.com) which I also check multiple times during the day. There is still work to be done. Our students have worked hard all year and have made huge gains in their learning. We don’t want to let that stop just because we can’t be in this building. We love each and every one of you and can’t wait to see you again. This building will soon be filled with laughter and learning.